Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weta Workshop Works

Well in May it will be my 6 year anniversary working at Weta Workshop! What a crazy ride it has been thus far.  I thought it would be a good time to just post a few pics of  works I've done in various departments.  There are some early ones from District 9 and more recently some work on The Hobbit; and Unexpected Journey.
I work with many amazingly talented individuals, and I'm proud to be apart of the creative process with them :) 

I was apart of the team that sculpted Wikus' transformation prosthetic. It was then painted and applied by some very clever people!







This bad boy was designed by the one, the only Greg Broadmore- I was proud to model-make, mould and cast this baby.




Some early designs I did for Bofur, the last one being the approved design.  It barely looks like him without that iconic hat!


Good ol' Oin. I'm glad his little top knot braid made it in.


A design for Kili, back when he had blue eyes.


 
 Sculpting Orc prosthetics and Dwarf hands golore.


I sculpted this Balin collectible in Zbrush. It was touched up after 3D printing and painted by some of the clever folk I work with.  More Hobbit collectibles I've sculped will be posted as they're released!  I hope to at some stage be able to post the Zbrush model turnarounds.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Lindsay Crummet,
    I've recently got into sculpture and model-making, after studying illustration. I've tried sculpting in sculpey and other polymer clays as well as air drying clay and plasticine. I wondered what clay you like to sculpt with and why? Are there any particular properties of that clay that you particularly like working with?
    Many thanks,
    Hannah Reslan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, as I said in some other comments- very sorry for not being able to reply for ages! I finally got my account sorted so I can be active on here :)
      I'd say my favorite clay to work with is green Chavant. It has a really smooth consistency and you can choose hardness depending on what you're sculpting. I tend to like Medium. It never dries out and can't be baked, but it's hard enough to stay as is until it's moulded (which is generally the process we use at Workshop). I'd love to see some of your sculptinig :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am so inspired by your artwork...blows me away!
    Doing what you do is a big dream of mine and you continue to inspire me so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, thanks so much for that- your comment inspires ME! :) Sorry for such a late reply, I had trouble with a double account for ages and couldn't log in. Finally got it sorted so I can be more active on here! I hope to see your artwork some day!

      Delete
  3. Your work is very inspiring, love the attention to details

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,

    I saw your bit in the New Zealand promo – very cool! Love your work is so awesome that you could go to New Zealand and and up such a fantastic studio.

    I'm thinking of immigrating to New Zealand; I've been a college professor for 20 years and a professional musician for 40. How's the music scene in general?

    Thanks for your time and all the best !

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete